BS Africa Limited
Advanced Course in Grant Writing
David Addo-Yobo (ACCA) firstname.lastname@example.org _____________________________________________________________________________________
This project-based course is the third and final component of the three (3) part course and it covers the complete budgeting as part of the project grant proposal. It covers the different types of budgeting and the activity based budgeting process. Participants will be fully aware of how to clearly and deliberately sync the budgeted items with the activities in the proposal.
Prerequisites: Participants must have completed the first two (2) components of the course viz Foundation Course and Intermediate Course. They will also submit the “One Project Document which they began during enrollment for the Foundation Course (4 credits)
Course Methodology and Objectives:
This course is the first component in the three (3) part Grant Writing/Donor Grants Funding and Project Proposal Writing course. The course seeks to improve budgeting and budget preparation skills of participants. The preparation and logical and coherent presentation of an activity based budget in the format required by the donor as part of the project proposal is the main focus of this course.
Upon completion of the course, participants will have had the opportunity to:
- Know the different methods of budgeting and the particular type of budgeting donors want;
- Understand the budgeting formats and templates from donors and how to use them effectively;
- Develop a budget and sync it with the activities in the proposal document;
- Complete and submit their “Your One Project”.
Readings, Resources, and Expectations:
- Articles, Websites, Reports, and Case Studies
- Sample budget templates from a number of donors
- Participants must actively participate in class discussions.
- Assignments must be turned in on time (just as with funders’ deadlines). All posted deadline dates and times are according to the Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).
Course Grading and Participation:
Participants are expected to complete all course requirements as follows:
|•||Introductory Essay||5%||•||Sync the Budget||20%|
|•||Definitions and Terminologies||5%||•||Group Work Done||25%|
IMPORTANT: This course has an enrollment limit and usually has a wait list. During the registration period, online attendance is required in order to remain in the course or be admitted into it. Therefore, if you are registered or are on the wait list, you must participate in the first week of class, which means you must introduce yourself in the Week 1 Gathering Discussion Forum, which is accessible via the course’s site. If you do not attend/participate in this way, you will be dropped from the course.
BS Africa Limited
Introduction Week #1: December 1-5, 2020
- Lecture: Definitions and Terminologies
- Peer Review Discussion: Budgets and Budgeting Methods
Assignments due in Week 1:
- Introductory Essay
- Group Project Work “Your One Project”
Components of the Budget Week #2: December 7 -12, 2020
- Lecture: Budgeting Templates
- Direct Costs and Indirect/Overhead Costs
Assignments due in Week 2:
- Activity Plans and the Budget Lines
- Lessons 5-6
Administrative and Contingency Week #3: December 14-19, 2020
- Discussion: Providing for Administrative and Contingency in the Budget
- Lecture: Budgeting for Crowd Funding Projects
- Lecture: Donor Advice Funds and Budgeting
Assignments due in Week 3:
- Group Work – Specific funding for ‘’Your One Project”
- Case Study: “Budgeting: Global Giving”
Sustainability Plan and the Budget Week #4: December 21-26, 2020
- Lecture: The Need for a Sustainability Plan
- Discussion: Donor Dependency and Sustainability Plan- A Case Study
- Lecture: Crowd Funding/Donor Advice Fund and Sustainability Plan
Assignments due in Week 4:
- Specific Funding and Justification for Participant’s Specific Project
- Group Work
- Lectures 38
- Quizzes 2
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Yes
- WEEK 1 INTRODUCTION
- WEEK 2 Writing the Budget
- 2.0 Introduction
- 2.0 But how can you actually develop a project budget?
- 2.0 Budget by activity
- 2.0 Budget by line item
- 2.0 What kind of cost can you include in your budget?
- 2.0 What is the overhead cost?
- 2.0 What are co-funding/own contributions/co-payments?
- 2.0 What is a contingency cost?
- 2.1 Budget Narrative
- 2.1 In which cases should you include a budget narrative?
- 2.1 Where should the budget narrative go in the proposal?
- 2.1 Writing the Budget
- 2.1 Contracted Services
- 2.2 Budget Narrative or Justification
- 2.3 Indirect Costs
- 2.4 Cost Sharing or Matching Funds
- 2.5 Let’s Apply them Now…..
- 2.6 Mandatory live zoom meeting
- 2.7 Group Assignment
- WEEK 3 BUDGET OF ACTUAL HOSPITAL
- WEEK 4 The Who, What, When, Where, and How of Grant Budgets