BS Africa Limited Business School
Foundation Course in Grant Writing Health Facility
David Addo-Yobo (ACCA) email@example.com
This project-based course is the first component of the three (3) part course and it covers the complete foundation process of grant proposal development: identification of a donor grant funding source as well as a brief discussion of an achievable and fundable project, research and assessment of viable funding sources and funder relations. It will cover into details, specific donor grant funding sources for specific project of the participants, pre-proposal research, crowd funding and specific crowd funding sources for specific projects of the participants. Participants will be fully aware of the donor advised funds and how it can help them access funding for their projects. Databases of donor grant funding for thematic areas including community healthcare, women and children, education, agriculture, environmental conservation and climate change, democracy and good governance, youth empowerment, microfinance, and so on will be fully discussed. Other parts of proposal development including proposal writing, budget development, preparation of a full proposal package for submission, and post-award or rejection follow-up with funders will be fully discussed in the subsequent components of the course namely Intermediate Course and Advanced Course in Grant Writing. Participants will gain an understanding of the nonprofit philanthropic environment and become familiar with tools and resources available to assist them as they seek funds for their projects, institutions, or causes.
Prerequisites: Participants must have completed the submission of the “One Project Document during enrollment for this course a specific project or a fairly well-developed idea that they build upon as the basis for their coursework and final grant proposal. This project or idea cannot be for a for-profit business. Solid writing skills and experience or coursework in nonprofit sector/management highly recommended. (4 credits)
Course Methodology and Objectives:
This course is the first component in the three (3) part Grant Writing/Donor Grants Funding and Project Proposal Writing course. The course seeks to improve writing and research skills within the context of a broader understanding of the grantseeking and philanthropic world. On a practical level, it emphasizes reader-based prose, revising skills, and the “Five C’s” of effective writing, and reinforces these qualities through in-class peer review.
Upon completion of the course, participants will have had the opportunity to:
- Identify and approach funding sources;
- Draft a letter of inquiry and effective emails;
- Understand and apply databases of donor grants, identify specific grants funding for their specific projects they may have; and
- Understand and use other methods of grants funding such as crowd funding as well as donor
advised grants – other innovative vehicles used in funding project.
Readings, Resources, and Expectations:
- Articles, Websites, Reports, and Case Studies
- Foundation Center Directory Online
- Participants must actively participate in class discussions.
- Assignments must be turned in on time (just as with funders’ deadlines). All posted deadline dates and times are according to the Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).
Course Grading and Participation:
Participants are expected to complete all course requirements as follows:
|•||Introductory Essay||5%||•||Crowd Funding||20%|
|•||Definitions and Terminologies||5%||•||Donor Advise Funds||25%|
|•||Databases of Donor Grants||15%||•||Participation||30%|
IMPORTANT: This course has an enrollment limit and usually has a wait list. During the registration period, online attendance is required in order to remain in the course or be admitted into it. Therefore, if you are registered or are on the wait list, you must participate in the first week of class, which means you must introduce yourself in the Week 1 Gathering Discussion Forum, which is accessible via the course’s site. If you do not attend/participate in this way, you will be dropped from the course.
BS Africa Limited
1. Introduction to Course and Online Learning/Navigations January 18-23, 2021
2. Website Navigations and New Student’s Checklist January 25-30, 2021
Introduction Week #1: February 01-06, 2021
1. Lecture: Definitions and Terminologies
2. Peer Review Discussion: Importance and Size of Grants
Assignments due in Week 1:
• Introductory Essay
• Group Project Work “Your One Project”
Donor Grant Databases Week #2: February 08 -13, 2021
1. Lecture: Databases of Donor Grants
2. Specific Databases for Specific Projects
Assignments due in Week 2:
• Conclude prospect research on FDO
• Prospect Research Report (PRR)
• Lessons 5-6
Alternative Sources of Donor Grants Funding Week #3: February 15-20, 2021
1. Discussion: Statistics of charitable giving in different countries
2. Lecture: Crowd Funding and Crowd Funding for Specific Charitable Projects
3. Lecture: Donor Advice Funds
Assignments due in Week 3:
• Group Work – Specific funding for ‘’Your One Project”
• Case Study: “Focused Philanthropy: Global Giving”
Evaluating Impact Week #4: February 22-27, 2021
1. Lecture: Global Giving and Funding Projects in Ghana
2. Discussion: Evaluating Impact (Global Giving Case Study)
3. Lecture: Donor Advice Fund’s Impact on Project Funding in Ghana
Assignments due in Week 4:
• Specific Funding and Justification for Participant’s Specific Project
• Group Work
- Lectures 51
- Quizzes 1
- Duration Lifetime access
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 94
- Assessments Yes
I am grateful for this program opportunity which I will use to improve on my career performance. Thank you.
I am elated to take this course. It will enhance my CV.
Good work done my able facilitators. The course instructors and facilitators are very hard working and always attend to us day and nights. Since Ghana is not used to Online courses and some of us are using this medium to starts and creating a platform for us to learn a lot. Thank u all
I appreciate the hard work of the organizers. Thank you.
Good I have read but my issue is the dates. This is 2021 online course but the introduction week#1 says October 2020 (5-10). Need explanation sir
Please, I can see that all participants have done 0% progress in the course. why that please? Also any time i try to do the Quiz it does not open for me. The feedback is always 404 Erro.
working on it
please i can not go ahead to make payment help
I’m grateful to be part of this all important program
I’m so grateful for such an opportunity
Still trying to gain my feet
Very elaborate program! Thank you, instructor.
Thank you for the opportunity to be part of this program
Not able to do anything
Please I can’t open website development to complete the form.
Still having some problems